PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CANDIDATES
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CANDIDATES
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
West Park Management Services Limited is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. You are being sent a copy of this privacy notice because you are applying for work with us (whether as an employee, consultant or contractor). It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of the recruitment exercise, and how long it will usually be retained for. It also explains your rights under applicable data protection laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the “GDPR”) and any national implementing laws in any Member State of the European Union or, to the extent applicable, in any other country, as amended, repealed, consolidated or replaced from time to time, and for the avoidance of doubt, including the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 and the Data Protection Authority (Jersey) Law 2018 of the Bailiwick of Jersey (“Jersey DP Law”) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (“UK DP Law”) (together, the “Data Protection Laws”). It is important that you read this notice, together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you, so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information.
DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
Personal data, or personal information, means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual. In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter.
- Information relating to your application including name, title, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, gender, employment history, qualifications
- Any information you provide to us during an interview.
- Any information provided as part of any psychometric or other testing you are required to complete.
There are special categories of personal data which require a higher level of protection (special category data). We may also collect, store and use the following special category data about you:
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records.
- Information about criminal convictions and offences.
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We collect the personal information listed above about candidates from the following sources:
- You, the candidate.
- Any recruitment agency with whom you are registered.
- Our background check provider from time to time.
- Our testing service provider.
- Credit reference agencies.
- Disclosure and Barring Service in respect of criminal convictions.
- Your named referees, from whom we collect the following categories of data:
- Any publicly accessible source.
HOW WE WILL USE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
We will use the personal information we collect about you to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the role.
- Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable.
- Communicate with you about the recruitment process.
- Keep records related to our hiring processes.
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
It is in our legitimate interests to decide whether to appoint you to the role since it would be beneficial to our business to appoint someone to that role.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract with you, to comply with a legal obligation in which are subject or to exercise specific rights we under in connection with employment law.
Having received your CV and covering letter, we will then process that information to decide whether you meet the basic requirements to be shortlisted for the role. If you do, we will decide whether your application is strong enough to invite you for an interview. If we decide to call you for an interview, we will use the information you provide to us at the interview to decide whether to offer you the role. If we decide to offer you the role, we will then take up references and/or carry out a criminal record and other background checks before confirming your appointment.
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we will not be able to process your application successfully. For example, if we require a credit check or references for this role and you fail to provide us with relevant details, we will not be able to take your application further.
HOW WE USE SPECIAL CATEGORY DATA
We will use your particularly special category data in the following ways:
- We will use information about your disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example, whether adjustments need to be made during interview.
- If you consent, we will use information about your race or national or ethnic origin, religious, philosophical or moral beliefs, or your sexual life or sexual orientation, to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting.
INFORMATION ABOUT CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS
We envisage that we will process information about criminal convictions.
We will collect information about your criminal convictions history if we would like to offer you the role (conditional on checks and any other conditions, such as references, being satisfactory). We are required to carry out a criminal records check in order to satisfy ourselves that there is nothing in your criminal convictions history which makes you unsuitable for the role. In particular:
- We may be legally required to carry out criminal record checks for those carrying out certain roles by our regulators.
- The role requires a high degree of trust and integrity since it involves dealing with sensitive information and potentially high value client money and so we would like to ask you to seek a basic disclosure of your criminal records history.
We have in place an appropriate policy document and safeguards which we are required by law to maintain when processing such data.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
We will only share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes of processing your application: our affiliated entities and third party service providers that provide services for us that involve data processing (including security, audit, insurance, medical, background screening, legal and other professional advisers).
All our third-party service providers and other entities in the group are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Where we transfer information to jurisdictions outside Jersey or the EEA, we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place in respect of that transfer. If you would like any more information about these safeguards, do get in touch.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. Details of these measures may be obtained from our Human Resources team.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my information for?
We will retain your personal information for a period of six months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to the role for which you have applied. We retain your personal information for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal information in accordance with our data retention policy and applicable laws and regulations.
If we wish to retain your personal information on file, on the basis that a further opportunity may arise in future and we may wish to consider you for that, we will write to you separately, seeking your explicit consent to retain your personal information for a fixed period on that basis.
RIGHTS OF ACCESS, CORRECTION, ERASURE, AND RESTRICTION
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Right to data portability. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used machine readable format and the right to have it transmitted to another provider.
- Withdraw consent at any time, if we rely on your consent to process your personal data, but this will not affect any processing of your data that has already taken place.
- Lodge a complaint with the data protection authority if you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your personal data, you can report it to your local data protection authority. However, we would be grateful if you could provide us with the opportunity to respond to any question or concern you have about your personal data before going to your local data protection authority.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact Human Resources in writing.
QUESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact Matthew Crill (firstname.lastname@example.org).